HCMS Students Taking High School Courses for Credit

Mon, 10/22/2018 - 9:23am

Howard County Public School System Policy 8020: For students taking Algebra I, Geometry, or another advanced math course and students taking a World Language course for credit, High School Grading and Reporting governs procedures related to students who withdraw from courses or change levels of a course. Any student who withdraws from any course more than seven school days after the published first quarter interim report will receive a W (withdrawal) on the report card and permanent report card. No credit shall be received by students who withdraw.  If a student transfers between levels of the same course, the grade the student earned will be transferred and averaged. A W code will not be assigned. If a student withdraws from a course and transfers to a different course more than one week after the first published first quarter interim report, no credit will be awarded unless a half-credit course option is available. The schedule change form will be placed in the student’s cumulative record. A W code will be assigned. For the 2018-2019 school year, the W date is October 23, 2018.